Monday 4 June 2018

Micah 6:8



I believe in Micah 6:8, My favorite verse of all time, “He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God”

The sole purpose of a human being, after all is said and done is to love mercy, act justly and walk humbly with God. This is itself echoes the command Jesus gave us which is Love God and love your neighbor (Others)
This is easier said than done. Most cases we want to be seen to be the ideal lovers of God, so we religiously do things, offer our time, self, resources etc, but unless we live Micah 6:8, all these are just like filthy rags. All the religiously acceptable behaviors we put in place doesn't make us more righteous than what Micah 6:8 would.

The questions I keep asking myself are, Am I acting justly, in the family, how I treat my two boys, how I treat my wife. Is it just. As I discharge my responsibilities in AYLF, am I just. To be just is to be fair, rational, impartial, reasonable, open-minded, non-discriminatory. This is in itself what is said to love your neighbor as you love yourself. How would I feel if I was on the receiving end if I wear the other person's shoes, will I expect to be treated the same way? At the end of the day, did I act justly in all my duties? This is important to me and I live my life on that. 

  Image Credit: http://www.faithgateway.com

The other question is mercy… Am I merciful. To love mercy, is to love compassion, forgiveness, to be human, show care, be kind, be of concern. I look at it as making others experience something better than what they would ordinarily experience. To make their lives better. To add value to people. All these are not easy, but as a follower of Jesus am called upon to love mercy. To love my neighbour as I love my self. Even if my neighbour doesn’t look like they deserve it. I have spent my life working with young leaders who most of them are very difficult to handle. But I find it somehow in my heart to be there for them, be their confidant even if no one really cares what it is. I see and watch what they do out there, the mistakes they make but I still am able without judging them be their friend and let them know that am there for them. Sometimes I find it hard to do that because there is a part of me that wants to avoid them, let them be, have nothing to do with them. This to me is an effort, though with many failings to show them mercy. Let them realise that no matter what they do or how people view them, they can count on my friendship. I haven’t done it for all but I make effort to do it for the few I reach out to.

The other question is, walking humbly with God. This is not easy. This to me is to love the Lord with all your heart, soul, strength etc. I, in many occasions fall short in this. This to me is how I treat those God brings my way. How I continuously cultivate my understanding of His word, what he has called me to do, how I live my life at home, at work, how I drive on the roads, pay my bills on time, take care of my responsibilities, how I serve those who I interact with including my wife and children etc. This is very important. Do I spend time in prayer and God’s word? God’s will for our life is that we live a sanctified life. In my decisions, work, family, activities, etc how am I honouring this. What are the questions I ask myself every day I need to engage in something? I believe God has given us wisdom so we make choices that are good for us. But with the choices I make, am I living a sanctified life. Am I cultivating a relationship with God.

Walking humbly with our God also implies being a humble citizen of your country who obeys the laws of the land not because of police but because of your conscience.

If this resonates with you, reflect on why you interact with Micah 6:8. Look for a small community of friends who you can do this together with… Being accountable to a few and practicing with a few. It’s about building a community of friends to share each other’s thoughts on Micah 6:8. You have to be deeply committed to each other and desire to see each other grow in this journey. You have to create a support, encouragement and accountability platform for each other. The community has to be a small as possible so that there is active engagement by all involved.
Find a community around you and see if these conversations make sense to you…

Image Credits: Image Credits: http://english.eagetutor.com


By Gabriel Achayo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

INNOVATION DRIVEN BY CAPITALISM

  “ What is a man capable of doing to make more money?” It’s now a trend that new phone models are released before you even catch up ...