Saturday 17 November 2018

A BETTER ME FOR A BETTER WORLD

                           
By Robert Nyagah.
Student and AYLF small group member at Multimedia University - Kenya

The first time I heard the theme, it sounded strikingly similar to the lyrics of Michael Jackson’s hit song “Heal the World.” Oddly enough, the message wasn’t too far away from the legend’s inspirational jam. As we went through the whole theme, it broke my heart to pieces, and sewed it back together, tighter and stronger than ever before.
As a result of fully understanding the theme, it has immensely impacted me in all spheres of life; intellectually, socially, emotionally and spiritually in a profound way. Becoming a better me has taught me how to cultivate qualities that build and empower me, ultimately having a net effect on the world around me. Service beyond self, humility and unconditional love are some truly important qualities that we so often bypass, but are inherently important to constantly practice and behold.

A simple prayer that has made me a better man is to ultimately ask the Almighty Father what my purpose is in life and in this world. It is liberating to know that ultimately, I will do what He wants me to do, go where He wants me to go, and be what He wants me to be. He knows what he wants from us and it is not all about us. It is about Him and His glory. Through this prayer, our purpose manifests, and we realize our greater destiny.
One lesson that transformed my thinking was also the teachings and insights on character. Character is the foundation on which our actions and habits are exercised. It is like our muscles, which need to be strengthened to be powerful and functional in our lives. The only person you could change is yourself, to change the world, and thusly, character is one factor that transforms your life in order to overcome numerous hurdles and obstacles that are bound to happen in life.
In our small discussion groups, we also talked about numerous issues that are affecting us which could be resolved by making ourselves better. A friend from Uganda gave us a fantastic quote that summed it all up, in reference to the lack of courage to stand for what we believe in and fight for it always. “If you are bought for being stupid, then intelligence ceases to matter”. It taught me a crucial lesson in bettering myself. You can never trade what you believe for money or anything else. Your beliefs and values are the blueprint of your life and all challenges can be overcome by the positive force of good.
There are things and people I have had to give up in order to better myself in the process. It is hard to develop and grow if the people you hang around don’t shape your values and mission. I have since made friends with brilliant young men and women and shared experiences that have left me enriched and grateful that I learned this when I needed it the most. This has provided a platform for positive interactions and opportunities, something that we cherish as members of AYLF.

One challenging area in my life that has become lighter is the knowledge that to become a better you, reconciliation with the areas of conflict around you is paramount. Time and again, I held up bitterness and anger that ate me up inside and it was extremely self-destructive. By reconciling my differences with myself, family members and friends I now feel greater peace and I am in a better position to handle disputes in a mature and progressive way.
A better you also require boldness, fearlessness, and determination. To become a better you, always remember that a comfort zone is a good place to be, but nothing grows there. Have you ever seen a beautiful, lush garden with blooming flowers that are captivating and sweet smelling? A lot of work goes into making it that way – weeding, pruning the leaves and constantly watering them so that they may flourish. Your life is like a garden of flowers, you have to weed and prune out the things that derail you, and water yourself with experiences, activities, and people that move you forward.

Jesus is an exemplary leader. He is the centerpiece of our teachings in AYLF. To become a better you and a leader in your life it is crucial that we understand that love is the greatest virtue of all. If you love others, you will be a servant and a friend, just like he exemplified in his life.

Finally, the lessons I learned from this theme will forever be written across my heart they will be a lantern in my journey to the future. Do you want to see a better world? Simple, just be a better you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

INNOVATION DRIVEN BY CAPITALISM

  “ What is a man capable of doing to make more money?” It’s now a trend that new phone models are released before you even catch up ...