Monday 11 February 2019

Passion



I believe people with a passion can change the world for the better.

Passion breeds commitment. Commitment is very crucial for any journey. 80% percent of success in any process is by showing up. You can’t keep showing up unless you have some level of commitment in what you are engaged in. A course that is focused on making the world a better place need commitment because it's not going to be easy and pleasant. The journey will be full of moments you are not even sure what you are doing. You might question yourself and even feel like finding something else to do, something tangible that you can easily explain to people. During those times, it’s the passion you have for what you do that will keep you fresh and going. Without any inner drive, you won’t even wake up to face your world.
Passion is the inner drive. That which we can’t fully explain but those around us can see it in our words, non-verbal and actions. External forces might not be sufficient to keep you on that road of a better world, but passion will. You may not be sure what your passion is, what you feel strongly and emotionally attached to. Something that makes you come alive when you start talking about it: you can talk a whole day and will feel energized on that. Given a chance and if there were no pressures of life, you would engage in that thing till God decides otherwise.

Image Credit: https://lonewolfmag.com/when-opportunity-knocks/

I'm a passionate man. My passion is around people and leadership. I gravitate towards developing young leaders. I believe leadership is everything and it’s a state of mind. I believe young people still have an appetite for new ideas. They are not jaded and full of cynicism. They still believe in a better future and are somewhat committed to it. I believe you can teach a young dog new trick or bend the reed when it’s still young. This passion was not always the case, but when I discovered it, and an opportunity came to engage, I jumped right in and I have kept on digging deeper in this. Am grateful to people who believe in me to help me develop this passion. Actually, in my case, the opportunity came first then I discovered my passion was in that opportunity. So as they say, I passionately engaged in that opportunity, and I discovered my life journey. To some people, it might be the other way round. Just be careful not to sit around waiting for your passion or be dragged into things just for the sake of money, fame and other material things that are here today and tomorrow are gone. 

An opportunity to engage in building my passion came as a failure in one area of my life. Something I had believed was what my life would be about, becoming an engineer. I failed, and I couldn’t believe it. It took God and friends to help me go through the process of forgiving myself for failing. Something about me; I get bothered so much about what people say and think about me. So when I failed, it was all over my face how people would respond to that. God being a loving father that He is, brought my way a friend whom I wish I could get a chance to meet again so we can celebrate what God has done and is still doing. He helped me appreciate the fact that I have to forgive myself and that God might be having other ideas about my life. I clung onto that and remained open-minded. Months later, I called a Reverend I had met for something I was following up on. It turns out; this would be the opportunity God would use to direct my life in a way I had never imagined. I had never given the idea of leadership much thought by then. The Reverend, threw me on the deep end and I had to raise up to the occasion. From this, came the Africa Youth Leadership Forum, AYLF Kenya Chapter www.aylfkenya.org and now a new addition to my ever budding passion for leadership development is GiANT Worldwide www.giantworldwide.com. Am also a life, leadership and growth Coach.                      
I believe my passion for leadership has sparked something in people’s lives, especially young leaders through AYLF. AYLF might not in itself change the world, maybe it will. But I see people come through AYLF who go out there to do great things. Others discover their passions through AYLF or are able to build it through AYLF. Whatever the case, the world will be a better place if we nurture a breed of leaders who will be worth following. 

Have you discovered your passion yet? Is there any opportunity God could be bringing your way so He can reveal to you what this thing is? What feedback do you receive from those close to you about what could be your passion? What is the one thing you could do for free and never bother whether you are compensated? What makes you come alive? What gives you satisfaction at the end of the day? What is this thing that your heart is totally sold out to? It could be anything from your career, vocation, hobby, to desires. Take time to intentionally find it.

If this resonates with you, seek to discover your passion. Look for a small community of friends who you can do this together with. Being accountable to a few and practicing with a few. It’s about building a community of friends to share each other’s journey of discovering and living out your passions.  You have to be deeply committed to each other and desire to see each other grow in this journey. You have to create support, encouragement and accountability platform for each other. The community has to be a small as possible so that there is active engagement by all involved.

Find a community around you and see if these conversations make sense to you.





By
Gabriel Odhiambo Achayo.
Leadership, Life and Growth Coach, certified by Lifeforming Leadership Coach (www.lifeformingcoach.com)
Senior Consultant, GiANT Worldwide (www.giantworldwide.com)
Country Coordinator, Africa Youth Leadership Forum, AYLF, Kenya


No comments:

Post a Comment

INNOVATION DRIVEN BY CAPITALISM

  “ What is a man capable of doing to make more money?” It’s now a trend that new phone models are released before you even catch up ...