Tuesday 16 April 2019

Consistency and Opportunities




I believe opportunities will open for those who are consistent.
Opportunity is a word we all love using and like to embrace. An opportunity to grow ourselves, to transform your present circumstances, to be better, etc. It's worth appreciating that opportunities are always around us, but we fail to notice them due to too many distractions in this life or societal expectations or in pursuit of instant gratification.
Being consistent is very key towards success. Consistency in character, direction, and dreams in life leads you to the opportunities available for you in that same direction. The most important and valuable thing in this life is a consistency in the same direction as this yields and has always yielded at the end of it something significant and worth living for. This is not an easy thing. The pressures of this life have a way of distracting us to other shiny objects or instant needs.

I recently was reminded that AYLF Kenya had been around for 11 years. I was shocked that I have been on this journey for 11 years now. It has not been easy. There are moments that I felt like giving up. I looked for other avenues to put food on the table or to meet the societal pressure. Sometimes I struggled even to clearly explain to someone what I do. But one of the things that kept me going was that I found someone who believed in me. I had to walk under his mentorship. There are things I had to hold back. Moments I felt like my needs were not being met and that if I could do things my way, maybe I would get stuff as I want them. I would write emails to my mentor complaining about an instant need or some pressure I'm going through. He never had all the answers I wanted but what he would offer is his belief in me. That way, I was able to trust God in my own way. God came through in some cases, some cases probably not as I had hoped for and some cases, I wasn’t even sure what God was doing, but I kept on. I'm still on the journey, and I trust God that AYLF is on the right path. I have since gotten other opportunities to build myself and be able to find how to address my ever-increasing needs. The journey continues, and I'm forever grateful to everyone who has made this journey worth it to this point.
What I have learned and I continue to learn is being consistent and how that is rewarding in the long run. People start associating you with something. You are able to access some opportunities and find yourself in some spaces that you wouldn’t have thought of. You find people coming along to walk with you because they now see the point. They realize that what you have been doing or talking about is really worth it. They can now listen to you because they see what you are about, the price you have paid and what you have done.

I would like to issue a caution though, sticking on something just for the sake of it is dangerous though. The question maybe you need to continually ask yourself are; Is it working? Do I enjoy doing it? These two questions can be very hard, but they are worth attempting. Something could be working, but you don't enjoy it, what would make you keep doing it? Is it worth it? Or if you enjoy it, but it’s not working, then maybe you should think hard about it.
What is the one thing you enjoy doing and can work, be consistent in it? Even if you will have to say no to some pressure, do so. Be teachable, be influenceable, find someone who believes in you and is consistent. The big break will come, and you will be grateful you never gave up.
If this resonates with you, seek to be consistent in character, direction, and dreams. Look for a small community of friends who you can learn to do this together with. Being accountable to a few and practicing with a few. It’s about building a community of friends to share each other’s journey of consistency.  You have to be deeply committed to each other and desire to see each other grow in this journey. You have to create support, encouragement and accountability platform for each other. The community has to be as small as possible so that there is active engagement by all involved.
Find a community around you and see if these conversations make sense to you…




By Gabriel Achayo



No comments:

Post a Comment

INNOVATION DRIVEN BY CAPITALISM

  “ What is a man capable of doing to make more money?” It’s now a trend that new phone models are released before you even catch up ...